Thursday, March 5, 2015

Artful Upcycling

...not bored with cardboard...

    A friend of mine that I lovingly call Nan Glam...(it's too long of a name for me to remember how to spell it!) Anyways, she's hosting a 4x6 cardboard swap. You can paint, sketch, or pretty much do anything on it...as long as it's artful and done on a 4x6 piece. I promised to do a walk through for it...so yep...it starts with a simple sketch...always does.


The top pic is my pencil sketch and the bottom is the sketch lined with a Micron pen. Also, I purposely chose a printed card board. I like that it gives a little bit of interest. 


This time around, I'm using water soluble wax pastels. The pastels are large and difficult to get into narrow spaces. I add a little in the general area I'm trying to color, then go in with a blending stump. It's just rolled up paper. Sometimes called a Tortillon. I did not use water. 



I added a little bit of magenta and blended those in. Then, yet again, with the slightest bit of light green. To finish the blooms, I used an Acrylic paint pen to stipple in the yellow stamens.


No secret here...I just added a dark blue around the blooms and blended it in. Next, I took a light blue and butt that up next to the darker color. Blended those two together. 


Alrighty, I did a big no no. I re-lined my blooms with out sealing it first. Don't forget, that stuff is all water soluble. It'll jack up your pen. So, seal it first with clear coat spray...then line. :)


This is the finished work. I used a Pentel Color brush pen to write out, "Spring Is." I tried to date stamp it, but the stamp didn't make complete contact...but I left it alone. In the corner is an old stamp that I thought looked like the ones in the drawing. I smudged some pastels on that so that it wouldn't be blinding white. To finish it up I scribbled around the flowers with a white Recollection pen.








8 comments:

  1. Love the layering of your design... great style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for stepping it out and stepping it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous!!!!!

    notinkansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get some water soluble wax pastels, they look awesome! Your work is goregous and those colors are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand that I'm using is actually a really cheap brand. (They are Reeves) I'm happy with it, but if you are looking for quality, I think Caran d'Ache is the gold standard. I haven't tried them yet, but maybe one day.:)

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful! And your process is so helpful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for going through the process of your killer creation.! Quick to the studio!
    - Artkey

    ReplyDelete