Saturday, February 28, 2015

Rolo Walk Thru

...Holla Back Bird...


   I've been joining as many Rolo swaps as I can get into. It takes a while to fill up a Rolodex with art, but mine is coming along nicely. This time around I am doing an Artist Choice Swap, that is hosted by Will De Boer. Upon Will's request, I will walk you through one of my cards. Below is my completed card.


I always start my work with a focal point. In this case it's the chirping bird. 


I went on Pinterest to look at birds to sketch. I found one that looked like it was "hollering," Which is why I added the slang word, "Holla," at the top. Once I have my sketch down, I line it with a Micron pen. A kneaded eraser was used to remove the pencil sketch. (Just be sure that it's completely dry, or you'll get a smudge like me!) 


I'm using Derwent Inktense and watercolor pencils. I chose colors that are close in color. Rarely do I ever use one color on a subject. I started with a light color all over and the darker colors where I wanted to call attention to. The lighter areas look like they are pushed out, while the darker parts look like shadow and a receding of an area. 


With a paint brush full of water, I start to activate the water soluble pencils. You can see that I did this at the top of the bird. The bottom is still dry.


I wanted the bird to look like it was belting out a loud holler. So, I added two colors to the, "Holla," side. I held the card side ways while I brushed a water loaded brush over the area. I let the colors mix and flow off the card. 


I did the same technique, but with only one color, on the opposite side. With a stencil, I added, "Holla." Most times I like to make it appear behind the art, instead of floating by it's self. I also added a number. (It's just a space filler.) Sometimes the numbers mean something and sometimes they are random. This time, it's the date. To finish the card off, I stippled some silver dots coming out of the bird's mouth and I colored in the number and "Holla." (Done with Gelly Roll Stardust pens.) 

Here are my other trades...















8 comments:

  1. Great thank you for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent tutorial! I love that bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rolos are fabulous! I can't remember--are you making your own cards on watercolor or mixed media weight paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Canson 140lb water color paper. Some times I wanna use other papers such as kraft. If it's not strong enough I glue it to cardstock, paint chips, or cereal boxes. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your rolos! Great work.You make it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sh%t's bananas! B A N A N A S! (I actually had to count out the syllables in my head. It's early.) Beautiful and fun to look at as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my head the Gwen Stephani song went through my head! LOL!

      Delete