...stuffie part deux...
So, I guess I just couldn't get lino block printing outta my system. I've joined in on another swap. This time it's birds. The swap is being hosted by Gaialuv of ATC's For All. The rules are that the birds have to be Mixed Media and they all have to fit in a 6x9 bubble envelope for mailing. The fact that they are going in an envelope is the reason why my stuffies are ...well...not very stuffed! LOL! Anyhoot, as per ususal...this all started with a sketch.
The top left pic shows the transfer of my drawing, to the lino block. You can see this done in the last post as well. I go right in and start carving. If you think that you might smudge up your pencil image, line it with a Sharpie.
Originally, I had little "U" shapes for feathers on it's chest. As I was carving those out, the pattern that you see in the last pics started to appear to me. I thought it looked better than what I had planned, so I left it alone. Also in the last pics, you can see that I inked it up. This will show me what the print will look like. One last tip,...use a fine grit sandpaper or emery board/ nail file, to rough up the smooth lino block. Probably better to do it before you even start. (If you are using Speedy Carve...or something with an eraser like block...do not sand!) Sanding will help your block ink to adhere evenly to your block.
Next, I do a test print on paper. Can't let the image go to waste. So, I printed several on watercolor paper, to use as postcards. :)
Here's my fancy printing area! Paper plates for my ink. I used two colors, red and orange. Worked the ink with a brayer, letting the colors blend in the middle. A soft cardboard under my work, helps to make the prints come out better.
I then printed them out on my fabric. Cut them down to size and added some quilt batting. The glint in the bird's eye didn't print out well, so I decided to add a shiny seed bead for it's eye.
I went around each of these 3x with the sewing machine. I don't sew well, so I intentionally went wonky with it! Finally, I added red felt to the back and blanket stitched around the whole thing. Every other stitch, I added a sequin. Colorful frayed ribbon, was sewn in too, as a hanger.