Saturday, July 25, 2015

"Narfish"

...lino printed stuffie...


    A funky friend of mine, Nanner of ATC's For All, is hosting a swap that I entered. It's called Art Fish Frenzy. The rule is that the fish need to be approximately 3x5. You can do any style you want. So, I decided to do a stuffie. I thought that it would be easy, but it wasn't! However, that was due to inexperience. If I had to do it over, it would probably go down a lot faster. :) 
   To start this whole project, I started off with a sketch. This time around, I used tracing paper to sketch on. Also, to keep within the 3x5 rule, I measured out spaces to sketch within. Here's what that looks like.


There's the sketches on the top left. I decided on the one with a horn. I was thinking of the Narwal whale when I drew him. :) Next, I cut out my sketch and laid it face down on some Linoliuom. A little Washi tape keeps it in place. With a bone folder, I rub the back of the tracing paper. This transfers the pencil sketch. Before removing the sketch, I peek underneath. I want to make sure all of the lines are transferred. I go right in and start carving. If you think you can't trust yourself to not smudge the pencil sketch...line it with Sharpie


Here is the progression of my work. I used an Exacto knife to line fine areas to carve out. It helps to keep your carving tool to cut past a line from the Exacto. (Was that confusing?) The last pic shows the entire block, carved and cut to it's shape. At this point pencil or Sharpie lines should get washed away. 


Next comes printing. I'm printing these guys on canvas. Now that I have more experience, I don't think I would use canvas for projects as small as this one. I wanted to sew them with a sewing machine, but turning them out warped them. I ended up blanket stitching around them.
Anyways, printing! I tried fabric paint by Tulip. Didn't work out. It wasn't thick enough. I ended up buying Martha Stewart's multi-purpose paint. It looks like Acrylic paint. Along with it I bought the bottle of stuff that is suppose to make it a fabric paint. (I didn't use it.) I just used the multi-purpose paint as is. No matter what paint I use, it prints out dry. So, I did have to go back over every single one of them and do a touch up with a brush. 


Because I can't seem to do things easily...I added sequins and seed beads to each fish...


I added real leaders to the fish.



Overall, I'm thrilled on how they turned out!

6 comments:

  1. Beyond cool... I love the added touch of "bling"... great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fish turned out great! So original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! All the fun detail. I'm a proud.....wink*wink* I mean I wish I could see these in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. In every swap you are in you go BEYOND expected. These are FANTASTIC! !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. In every swap you are in you go BEYOND expected. These are FANTASTIC! !!!!

    ReplyDelete