Thursday, February 19, 2015

Canvas Board Postcards!

...5x7's travelling naked...


    It's been a great while since I' have posted anything. For the most part, it's because I am waiting for some of these projects to make it to their receivers. Anyhoot, this month a friend of mine, Trish Lovato, has started a swap for 5x7 canvas boards. We are sending them through the mail naked. Which means, they are not wrapped or boxed. We simply address the back and slap on the appropriate amount of postage. I gifted Trish a canvas for hosting the swap. Here's what I sent...


I know that the back isn't art'ed up, but for some reason, I find it just as appealing as the front! 


This is what I sent my partner. (Not sure if she received it yet.) The colors are actually a lot darker, but my photography skills are lacking, thus the faded shot. 

Here's how I started this canvas...


First, I adhered an old McCall's dress pattern to the canvas, with Matte Gel Medium. Just thought that it would add interest.



Next, I used a scrap piece of card stock to smear green acrylic paint across the canvas. 


Finally, a simple sketch....I colored it in with color pencils and water soluble wax pastels. To protect it on it's journey through the mail, I coated it with a clear coat spray.

One more to show you. This is my first try at a, Day Of The Dead, theme. 


I also painted the back...













7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using a dress pattern as a background layer! Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very lucky to receive that first one! But the others are lucky too! Your art is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all wonderful... I just love your "fish" style, always simply gorgeous!!
    The DOTD is sooooo colorful... it will be coveted by many fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great on the DOTD one! Very nice! I always love your fishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fishies are awesome as usual!

    ReplyDelete