Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Funky Fish

...not smelly...


    I'm probably echoing the same lament as my fellow bloggers. I haven't started off the year with tons of posts! My issue, however, is a bit unique. I recently moved my furniture around, which has me feeling like I can't really produce anything that I'm excited about. My table used to be right under a light, but now I don't have the main light for the room, over my table. I turn on lamps, open windows and added additional lighting, but I just can't seem to get it to feel normal. Anyhoot, isn't that a weird reason?! Some might say to move the furniture back, but I lived with the same arrangement for nearly 8 years and I happen to like the way everything is right now. So, I guess I'll just have to adjust. 
   Sheesh, I probably lost most of your attention with all this blabbing! So let's get to it! Funky fish...it's a mail art swap that I played in a few times. will probably play in it for a few more times. Here's a progression of one of the fish that I did...it starts with a simple sketch...


I lined my sketch with a Micron pen to start. (Forgive my experimenting with picture taking. I'm adjusting to using a new gadget for that as well....)


At this point I really don't know what direction to take this, but I start with some yellow watercolor


I love the look of dripping paint. I painted on clear water in the areas that I wanted the paint to follow. I loaded my brush with yellow watercolor and let it flow. I then took some dark pink watercolor and let it mix and turn orange. 


Here it is after much fooling around with watercolor.


Often times I have songs that seem to play in my mind when I'm creating my works. I'm Like A Bird by Nelly Furtado was the song this time. I dunno why....'cause I'm working on a fish! ...it is what it is I guess....


Here are a few more that I did...








9 comments:

  1. Awesome artwork, always! I think my fave is the Cool Kids fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! Now all of my fish seem lame. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, Mel. I love them all!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Mel. I love them all!:)

    ReplyDelete

  5. I love that the only thing fishy about your fish is their shape. When I do fishes I seem to think I have to make them into fish. I'm going to have to begin thinking outside the box when I tackle more fishes. Yours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiration! Brain food plus eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your work...........as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eyeballs are not worthy!!! Your fish are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete