Sunday, November 16, 2014

Oddball Ornaments

...it's another weird swap...


    I seem to be gravitating toward weird swaps! The latest swap I'm in, is by another arty friend of mine that goes by the user name Nanner. (I lovingly refer to her as my Nanny...although, I think I'm older!) Anyhoot, the swap is for holiday ornaments and the twist is that they need to be a little off , or oddball. I've finally gotten my four ornaments completed. I used cardboard as my base....and yes, they started with a simple sketch....




The twist that I am going for is being politically correct. I found the quote above on Pinterest and thought, well this is probably on a lot of people's mind this time of year. Personally though, I'm not offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, or a Happy Kwanzaa. All they are really wishing you is happiness. Who could be cross with that? Not me....:) 





Here's my fox...he keeps it correct by saying Happy holidays. ...so how did I make these? I cut out a piece of cardboard. Did a simple sketch with a Sharpie. Colored the characters in with water soluble wax pastels. For the broad black lining I used a Pentel Color Brush. The area with the quote was done with two white pens, Uniball Signo Broad and Recollections. To finish it off, I did my usually thang. I added some stippled sparkles from my Gelly Roll Stardust pen.





My twist here was to say, "Duces," instead of "Peace". I'll explain...(just because, I didn't know what that meant until recently...) Duces is what the kids say now-a-days to say good bye. It comes from forming your fingers in the peace symbol....two fingers up, hence the duces for two. I thought that I was being clever adding duces "peace" to my Dove....but then I saw it all over Pinterest while looking for a Dove to sketch!





To finish these guys up, I took an Exacto knife and cut around the characters. I then carefully tore away the  top layer of paper, exposing the corrugated middle. I love the texture! If you try this, just remember to tear away from your drawing. Ya don't wanna have a rip go across your work.  "Duces!"

5 comments:

  1. These are fabulous... you have such a wonderful style & I really love the corrugated ridges showing, great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! These are great! Love the hint of snark. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I love the fox!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so wonderful - I love your style! I covet the "Duces" dove!

    ReplyDelete