Saturday, November 8, 2014

Far Out Mail Art....

...way out!


    Completed my 2nd partner's Envie for November. The rules are that the subject matter is always artist choice and although I could blissfully go on with sketching more fruit, I do try to create something from their wish list. Sandy's wish list included the Old West  and Space/N.A.S.A. themes. First I thought, I've gotta do something Western. I'm not good at scenes, so I thought perhaps a horse....maybe a Sheriff's star? Nah, couldn't seem to get that on paper. Then I started to think about stars and astronauts....but I was thinking there's just no way I could pull that off either! 

   After a bit of uncomfortable squirming and fidgeting, I suddenly remembered something that I saw on YouTube. The video is from Sea Lemon on how to make a galaxy print. Instead of me blah blahing about how it's done, view her video. She explains it very easily. ...and from experience, let me just say, you're gonna feel like you're painting crap at first! LOL! Just stick with it. Tweak it here and there...it'll start to take shape. When you're done viewing the vid, meet me back here.






So, this is what I ended up with. Just like she suggested, I used a dark background. In my case it was black cardstock. I didn't have the oil paints that she used, so I used acrylic paint instead. ...Now to turn it into Happy Mail! I folded it up and addressed it. Here's the front and back of it....





According to Sea Lemon, this galaxy is Orions Nebula
...I wanted the work to sparkle, so I used a Stardust Gelly Roll pen to stipple in some twinkles. :)





Here's a shot of all the crap I used! 

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at the last line of your post: 'Here's a shot of all the crap I used!'

    That envie is super cool! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete