Saturday, October 18, 2014

Rolo's, Painting's and Postcards...oh my!

...just a little bit of what I've been up to...


    Seems that a lot of our group is back on the Rolo kick. I have to admit, I'm back in it too. Here is one that I did recently at ATC's For All....


I'm happy how it turned out. I think the person I traded with is too. :) 

Anyhoot, I've been thinking of all of the different cards that could be placed in a Rolodex. Most peeps get a little anxious of the thought of filling it up. We want it to be filled with art right away. What I have done to quench the Rolo addiction, is to fill it with eye candy that isn't necessarily art yet. I did up a lot of Gelli plate printed watercolor papers to jot down addresses of fellow art swappers. That was a helpful place to start. ...but here are some other ideas.....


With a die and a "Big Shot" machine, I cut out a variety of Rolo's.  At the top left I cut out some greeting cards. To the right, paint chips, free from the store! Bottom left, magazines....and to the right again, scrapbook paper. These can fill up your Rolodex with something interesting. When you are ready to art them, use Gesso or white paint on one side to do up your art. This way you will have something interesting on both sides of your card. 



In this pic, I cut up a wall map that I got at Goodwill. Below it are some other card maps that I got there as well. At the top right are some Rolo's that came with vintage holder that I bought. Don't throw them out! I love the handwriting of the previous owner and the fact that they are aged. They look tea stained. :) Just remember to paste them to some thing sturdy like card stock. 



So, I've been thinking for A LONG TIME, that I would try my hand at selling on Etsy. Maybe I will start with these paintings?.... I had these 6x6 stretched canvases on hand and just started painting. Muse came outta no where. I started by tearing out phrases from a re-print of an old Sears catalog and pasted them down with matte gel medium. I drew in simple sketches and painted them with my fingers and acrylic paint. 



I'm thinking they would go well in a kids room, or maybe someone who just likes whimsical things. I have two done....then my muse bailed!






So, here is the last thing that I have been up to. I did up a birthday postcard. ...just noticed...whimsy seems to be every where with me. Anyhoot, here it is...











5 comments:

  1. Fanfreakingtastic! NIK

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally sell your art on Etsy! I love those fish!!! And whimsy suits your style well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! Your painted canvases are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the canvases! Would buy them. And thank you for the rolo tutorial, can't wait to make my own :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Can't wait to trade some Rolos! :)

    ReplyDelete