Thursday, October 23, 2014

On Stretched Canvas

...and then there was four...


    Finally, I got the whole pack of canvases done. As you may recall, I did a fish and a bird. To finish up these 6x6 works, I did some sea horses and a rabbit. 


I want to open an Etsy store, but procrastinated for a long time on doing so. Hopefully, I won't wait too long to start a store with these works. I guess my hold up is figuring the shipping fees. It would be nice if everything fit in a flat rate priority shipping box, but I don't think that's the case. ...and figuring Parcel Post is a little confusing to me too. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Anyhoot, here are a couple of progression shots of the latest works. They start off like everything else, with a simple sketch.


I painted the area around the rabbit with Acrylic paint. I use my finger to apply the paint and a brush to get to the hard to reach spots. With a watercolor pencil, I colored the perimeter of the rabbit. A brush loaded with water, helps me to activate the color pencil marks.....I let the paint drip off the piece. 


The finishing touch is done with a white marker highlighting all of the drip marks. Unfortunately, I can't get this artwork to picture well. It sorta looks brown in the pic, but it's really three different kinds of purple. 

My sea horses were done the same way. 


The finished piece...





5 comments:

  1. just lovely - best of luck with the store - shipping is everyone's issue!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I guess I won't know what the cost is unless I go ahead, box them up and head towards the post office......:)

      Delete
  2. Seee horses!!! Fun fact: When I was in Italy at sea world, they had sea horses and the lady there told me that the sea horses are very social, they have only one partner for the rest of their lives and in the morning, when they wake up, they grasp by the tail and dance for 5 minutes, it is their way to say good morning, did you sleep well? You got to live see horses! :D

    Your canveses are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh, I never realized that they were as cute in personality as they are in their looks! :)

      Delete
  3. These are fab Mel.

    What I did to figure out my shipping costs on Etsy was look at a bunch of similar items on Etsy and see what they were charging for shipping. Then I just charged something comparable. I think it is easier that way. You can also include your time and the gas it costs to go to the post office in your shipping price (shipping & handling).

    ReplyDelete