Sunday, October 26, 2014

Masterboard

...trying out some Wonderstrange...


    A couple of days ago I was reading up on a technique featured on a fellow blogger's website. The post was about making a, "Masterboard." Some may call it other things, but this is what Ann D'Angelo calls it. :) Check out her post & site at Wonderstrange.com ...then meet me back here for my stab at her technique. 

    I started off with 40lb watercolor paper and some drizzles of acrylic paint. With a scrap of paper, I scrape the paint across the page, until I have it covered. With a hairdryer, I dry off the first layer of color. 


Next, I drizzle in some blue and more yellow. Just like the first layer, I scrape it across the paper. Sometimes vertical sometimes horizontal. Each layer is then blow dried. 


I plan on making these birthday postcards, so I chose a Dr. Suess rhyme to jot down with a white marker. Next, I took several stamps and stuck them to a large acrylic stamping block. With black Stazon ink, I randomly stamped my images. I chose Stazon, because I planned on using wet mediums next. Stazon ink will stay in place. 


I have such a difficult time drawing on printed backgrounds, so I stuck to more familiar subjects. Birds and fish grace these postcards....I know, no surprise coming from me! I used a Sharpie to get my basic shape sketched in....The blues and white being colored in is from  water soluble wax pastels. With a wet brush, I blend the colors gently. When it was completely dry, I made bolder lines with a black Pentel Color Brush to line the bird. 

I've done three postcards. Here are the finished pieces....










5 comments:

  1. Great share! I used to use a similar method with acrylic backgrounds but I agree it's not easy to do fine line drawings on...but it's great with Microns...fun & colorful results!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Wonderful projects here on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete