Saturday, September 27, 2014

Tiny Matchbox Mail

...super small parcel...

    I've finished up the last of my match box trades for a swap. These little works are so much more harder, than I first thought they would be to make! So what did I choose as my final project.....teeny tiny parcel package! Here are the three completed boxes...





The box at the top right, is what I'm sharing with you today. I begin by cutting a piece of brown paper that will cover the box. I used a bag that I got from buying some pens. The brown paper is really thin. Don't use something thick like grocery store bags. Your box will not close. 




In the above pic, you can see that I wrapped the paper around the box. I then put a tiny dab of Matte Gel Medium to glue it in place. Next, I snipped the four corners of the paper over hang. Fold them in tight, first without glue. Then, unfold them and smear some more Matte Gel Medium to the flaps. Re-fold and smooth out if necessary.





Now for the inside drawer. You can't have too much bulk on the drawer, or it won't slide back into the matchbox cover. To avoid that problem, I cut a strip of paper the went across it's length...including the inside of the box. (See pic #2) I use my fingers to fold all of it in place. Then, glued it all down. There is no paper on the sides of the drawer. When it's all closed up, it looks like it's been completely wrapped. 




I decided that I would add some tiny mail and some other Happy Mail elements. The above is my attempt at a postcard. Bust out the Micron pen to do your writing! ...a liner brush is used to do the smallest water colored fish I've ever done! The little note says, "Brown paper packages tied up in string, these are a few of my favorite things."





A note with a drawn in wax seal. I used a gray marker to add shadow.






Addressed to Mr. & Mrs. Friend, from Mrs. P. Pal....
I added the postcard, letter and some sea shells, stars, tiny clothes pin, leaf sequins, an old postage stamp.






Here's my completed project. I used a real label and cut it down to size. With the scraps of the label I made some postage stamps. I botched the hand cancellation drawing....but whadaya gonna do?! Baker's twine finishes it up.


8 comments:

  1. Love it! I was thinking about making the same thing for the swap. Saw something similar on Pinterest. Darn, back to racking the brain for ideas on those darn matchboxes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do a parcel too! Everyone's work is different. ;) I'd like to see some more miniatures.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this!! Fab work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So freakin cute! Would love to receive any one of them, but that package is WOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great matchboxes. Love them all. Hope I'm lucky enough to get one! from JSilver

    ReplyDelete