Thursday, September 25, 2014

D.I.Y. Envelopes

...customize your Envies!

   A friend of mine was asking me to make her some templates. One of them being for an envelope. So, I thought I'd do up a tutorial. Anyhoot, why would you want to make your own envelope? The biggest reason is that, among our swap group, we need sturdier envelopes. A lot of us use wet mediums that warp and pill regular envelopes. 

   For some time now I've been making watercolor paper envelopes. It stands up to quite a bit of abuse, including going through the mail system. Also, because most of us don't send anything inside of the envelope...there will be no need to add cardboard to keep them sturdy. It will stand on it's own. So, let's begin! I start off with 140lb watercolor paper


   In the pic above you can see that you will need a score board, ruler, bone folder, and a ready made envelope as a guide. I place the watercolor paper on the score board and the envelope in the middle of that paper. (I just eyeball where the middle is....you can measure and be exact if you wanna....) The picture above is exactly how I start it.....paper verticle...ruler following one edge of envelope. 


    With the bone folder I made the two vertical scorelines.....then reinforced the fold by running the bone folder several times over the fold. Turn your paper horizontally....You will make a small flap at one end and one larger flap at the other end. (I also eyeball the sizes of the flaps....or you can use your ready made envelope as a guide.)


   With scissors cut the corners out. For the two long flaps, cut a smidge under the score line. It will help your end flaps close properly. 


   Now you have your corners cut out. To give your envelope a finished look, use a corner rounder punch on the bottom and top flaps. ....you can even use your scissors to round those corners. Most people will not notice that they are not perfect. Besides, your gonna put some amazing art on this blank....it will detract attention from any imperfections. 


Here are a few of the products that I use for making envelopes. Forgive me, I forgot to include corner rounder and scoreboard....but I'm sure you know what they are. When I am ready to close up the envelope, I use Tombow glue. However, any white glue will do. I was also gifted a bottle of Lick and Stick. (The green and white bottle) I don't make most of my envelopes to open, so I haven't used this stuff much. Just thought you would like to see your options for envelope sealing solutions. :) 



   

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Tee hee....you just saw you template being made....:)

      Delete
  2. This is vital information for envie addicts that want to make their own envelopes! Great Tutorial, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna....I get asked about the watercolor paper envelopes a lot. This will make it a lot easier to refer to in the future. :)

      Delete