Monday, September 22, 2014

Mail Art Co-op!

....finish me....

   I got an interesting piece of mail on Saturday. It's an 8x10 canvas with a blue background painted on it and the words, "Finish me," pasted on. It was sent through the mail, "naked." No covering, sent as is with the stamps and addresses on the back. 


Ha! I love the play on my name!


 I was scared that I might mess up the canvas. It's not like I could take a pencil to it and erase. So, I looked back to something that I have already drawn. The above is a Rolodex card that I have done in a style by Geninne of Flickr. It's my inspiration for the canvas. As always, I started with a simple sketch.


I will spare you the details this time around. You can see how this thang progresses


Here is the finished piece...


Sometimes the numbers in my art mean something. 922 14 is the date today. :) 


Instead of the long explanation, you can take a peek here at the things that I used to finish the art, including the homemade junk mail stencil. :)


8 comments:

  1. It's SENSATIONAL! Even if it's "for the birds", ha! Beautifully completed, talented girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanny! I think you're on to something with this mail co-op type of dealio. :)

      Delete
    2. Maybe so! A traveling art collaborative that is "exposed" as this is?

      Delete
  2. The canvas!!! Brilliant ... Simple yet brilliant! Your bird rocks! I might steal for my partner mail... I'm stumped on odd mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this idea too. There are smaller sized canvases as well, for easier management. :D

      Delete
  3. This is indeed a brilliant idea in naked mail games! Your bird is beautimus, Mel! Love the idea of using junk mail for a stencil also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative idea! I would've never thought you could mail a canvas like that! Great artwork too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Nanner to thank for the genius of her weird mail ideas. :)

      Delete