Sunday, September 28, 2014

Key Hole Doll

...Amanita Vs. Black Widow...

   An art friend of mine, that I had the pleasure of meeting in person recently, has gotten me into making Two Sleeve paper dolls and now, Key Hole Paper Dolls. Named "Two Sleeve," because it takes two penny sleeves to cover them for mailing. Key Hole Dolls are a little more obvious. They are the shape of an old fashion key hole. These however have some extra width of paper that can be folded back to make the dolls stand. 
   The doll that I'm sharing today is based on one that I did in Ruth Morris's first doll swap. That two sleeve doll was simply Amanita. (*Which happens to be a poisonous mushroom.)  Sorta looks like a chic's name too, don't ya think? Anyhoot here is the two sleeve I did way back when....


There she is with Chrysanthymum....:)

This time Amanita is a little annoyed. She's no longer happy like the above pic....someone's invaded her mushroom glade. ...This is how I got Amanita Vs. Black Widow...
They start off as a simple sketch.




I use my trusty mechanical pencil and kneaded eraser to sketch. (Lot's of erasing!) Next, I lined the sketch in black with a Micron pen. Then in brown Micron on the skin. Once that was done I used my kneaded eraser again to clear out all of the sketch. ...Like last time, I edge her hair in lite blue. 




Now for some skin. I went in with Copic's "SkinWhite/E00" I covered the entire skin area with this very pale color. Next I took a darker color by Prismacolor, "Eggshell" This time I'm only going in on the spots that might be in shadow. For example, under her hairline, under her nose, eyes and chin. I don't have a drawn line going from her brow to her nostrils, but I'm using my color pen to make those lines. To give her a more healthy glow, I go in with some blush. I used Spectrum Noir's "PP3." It's basically a barely there pink. I add this color to the apples of her cheeks, the tip of her nose, her chin and across her forehead. I go back over all of the skin with one of my skin colors to have it all blend together




Above, I colored in her eyes with the same lite blue I used for her hair. Under all the hair and places of shadow I used a pale gray. 


I'm using Inktense color pencils for her cap hat. Cherry, Tangerine and Sun Yellow. With a liner brush full of water, I blend the colors together. I don't worry too much about the white spots. I suppose I should use mask, but I just go back over it with my Uni-ball white pen




Ah, there's Black Widow.....
...just like the original doll, I'm going with a black background. I love the way black sets everything else off. I used Copic black....




Everything's black...but I decided to go with dark gray in the center. Dunno why, just felt right. Black Widow is looking too white. I eventually give her some hash marks to give her more of her color. 




Before I show you the finished project. Here is a close up of some of the added details. Webs make an appearance....they are jeweled with a few dew drops. Taking cues from Charlotte, this spider spun some words too.  I slammed a date stamper on this and laid out some silver speckles.





Here is the finished piece....





Here's all the crap I used!!
(Sorry, picture is unavailable.)



15 comments:

  1. I love the keyhole doll shape! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond wonderful... you outdid yourself, of course I'm not surprised!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I love that you listed the colors you used for the skin tones also. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started drawing faces....I always wanted to know what colors people used for skin. It seemed so difficult to find out! ...and the first time I colored in skin it looked really orange...like a bad tan, but then after everything else gets color, it looks normal. :)

      Delete
  4. Stellar creation! I think your instinct was right about keeping the gray around her neck. It gives the illusion of a black cape layered over a gray top/dress. And you used one of my fave color combinations (black and red with white or ivory).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzi! I love Girl/faces drawings. You color them beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna and Sara...it's been a while since I've liked something I drew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeousness! I had the pleasure of seeing your first one in Rochester - Ruth shared her glorious creation! I think I may have to try my hand with these dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's deadly and delicious! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete