Saturday, September 13, 2014

Crazy Bird Challenge

...an abstract bird tut...

   A few days ago a good friend of mine, that goes by the username Tandy, has shared an interesting bird tutorial video. The video shows you how to make an abstract bird without being stuck on where to start. A lot of us have this problem with sketching. We get a picture stuck in our head and try so hard to stick with it. This exercise helps you think freely...it gives you a little head start too. To see what I'm speaking about watch Carla Sonheim's short video here.


Just like the video, I made some loosely drawn circles on one square of paper and a flower shape on another square of paper. I used three different colors.....I believe that the video said to use four. I'm bad at following art instructions! I'm using a black Pentel Color Brush pen, white Uni-ball Signo pen and a teal Crayola color pencil.



Next, I cut both papers into quarters, as seen below....




Choose a panel from each sketch to be part of your bird. Then glue them down on a full sheet of paper. 

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. You can see how the bird develops....




Here is the finished bird......




This time two birds!




Here they are completed.




Last one...it's actually the first bird I did, but forgot to take the progression photo! Sorry...





Give it a try.....let's see what you come up with.....:)

13 comments:

  1. They came out great. Will give these a try an let you know how they turn out. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually art pretty easy. You'll see when you give yours a try. Can't wait to see your results!

      Delete
  2. Fabuloso! I love the one that's looking straight out at you. So cute! Guess I better try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss I! ...and yes, you better give it a go! :D

      Delete
  3. Your birds are cute as all get out, Mel! I didn't pay attention to the number of colors to use when I did my own birds either. Did you do them on 4x4 inch squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! The whole thing was 4x4, so the individual squares are smaller. It was some scrap kraft cardstock that I had. :)

      Delete
  4. wow, very inspiring and seems so free - just what we want art to be! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I hope that you try it out. I was thinking of asking all that try it and post it, if I could share the results on a post on my blog....in return, I will link up anyone who will give me permission to post their pics.....

      Delete
  5. These are really cute and look like tons of fun!! I will give 'em a try. Drawing free and loose is not my forte, so it really should be a challenge for me, LOL!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you post your results...I'd like to share what everyone else has done on a post on my blog....and in return I'd like to link up everyone else's blogs with their take on the results. :)

      Delete
  6. Cute to the max & sooo easy!! I subscribed to her channel & love all of her stuff.:)

    Hmm...wonder if this would work for a swap? Everyone would make 3 sets of circles & flowers..host would mix them up & return 3 different sets out..all players would complete their birds & post final pics. Kind of the same as the exquisite corpse swaps are done.Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete