Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Oh Really?!

...a daily sketchbook...


   I've said it time and again, that I can't complete a whole sketchbook. I have maybe three...hmmm...or more sketchbooks with only one or two sketches! I am determined to see at least one of these books through. So far I made it to day four. Haven't gotten to today's sketch, but the day is still young. :) 
   Sorta weird, but I think some of my problem is that I start on page one. The front of the book. It makes me feel like, gosh, look at all of the remaining pages that I have to fill. So I decided to play a Jedi mind trick on myself. A way to take away some of the anxiety of blank pages. This time around, I am flipping to a random page and art'ing it out there. When I'm done with the sketch, I number the page and date it. I think in the future, leafing through the pages with random days in order, will be a more interesting read.  Yes, reading a sketchbook! I can't help but to add found poetry and quotes. Below is my first sketch...


Had to start with birds. It's what I love to draw most, next to fish. Might as well start with the King, no?

Drawing #2


I'm not too happy about this one, but I did try to go outside my comfort zone. I don't recall ever drawing a deer.

Sketch #3


This is my favorite of all the sketches so far. I was happy that I could fill a whole spread. 


Finally, sketch #4


Queen Annes's Lace...I love the look of the real flower. Some consider it a weed, but I love it's delicate beauty.

Anyways, fingers crossed that you see more sketches...that'll mean that I'm on my way to finally filling a sketchbook. 




8 comments:

  1. Great idea to go to random pages... just gotta shake things up once in awhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. What book are you useing? And which medium? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a sketchbook that I bought at Walmart sometime ago. It's some kind of generic brand. I wish I had decided to use a book that could take wet mediums. (This wasn't a planned thing...just picked up this book and started.) I'm using marker with light colored inks...(except the occasional black) color pencils and pastels.

      Delete
  3. I have the same problem: Never seem to finish an entire sketchbook. I love the idea of going to random pages in the book instead of being conventional and starting at the front! And I love your deer picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pages are beautiful. I hope you are able to fill a complete sketchbook. And when you do, you need to write an article about your process and ship everything off to Stampington and Company. Your work is totally worth publishing in Somerset Studio. No lie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the compliments! Miss I, wowza! That's high praise. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it'll keep me on track with a goal like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love LOVE your bird sketches! Especially the King.
    I wish I could draw birds.....Ever thought of starting an art journal? I know you do larger work. And an art journal is just a place to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I'm using this sketchbook much like an art journal. I'm just OCD about being a little organized on the page. The book is actually pretty large. I think it's 9x12. lotsa space for extra doodling. :)

      Delete