Monday, June 29, 2015

That Darting Bird

...another cardboard creation...


    At a live art meet, I met Schona Kessler. She's a Washington State based photographer and art/craft dabbler. Click her name to check out the ah-mazing work she does. Anyhoot, during our live meet up, I tried to make everyone a postcard sized work of art. There just wasn't enough time for me to make something for everyone. So, I've finally got something done for Schona. I did a 4x6 cardboard postcard, with one of my favorite poem excerpts. 

    I started like I always do...with a simple sketch...


Above is a rough sketch, that was then lined with a fine tip Sharpie.




My medium choice, this time around, are Reeves water soluble wax pastels. I first start at the head of the bird. I'm using two colors. I lay down some red...and then some orange. I usually use a Tortillion (rolled paper blending stump.) but, I can't find it! So I just used my fingers. On the bottom pic, I used a Uniball Signo broad pen, to add a glint in the bird's eye.


I've added in more colors. Smudged them in just like the red/orange. I almost always use more than one color on everything. The wings are in two different colors of blue along with white and black for high/low lights. Also, another thing you should know about these pastels....if they are cold or you're working in a cold area...they won't smudge properly. So, don't get discouraged if they are not creamy and smudgy. 


I'm putting the final touches on this postcard. I've lines the bird with a black Pentel Color Brush. Added some yellow/orange/white rays. I wanted it to look like there was movement. I should also mention that with the smooshing of the colors...I have to re-apply often. Sometimes you can smudge away a color too much. ...I used a Faber Castell Gel Stick along the edge. I think that the gel stick is the same as the Gelato's...but don't quote me on it. :)


Here is the finished cardboard postcard. Stamps on the back and in the mail it went. :)

4 comments:

  1. Another stunning piece of art, Mel Thank you for sharing the how-to:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another stunning piece of art, Mel Thank you for sharing the how-to:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you like the reeves? They are very waxy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reeves is what I can afford. If I could, I would love to give Caran D'ache a whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete