Thursday, June 25, 2015

Beautiful Faces

...my find from Powell's Book Store...


    I have book stores near home. I could go anytime. I'm pretty sure that I can find the same books, in the stores near me. However, I just have a love for Powell's Book Store in Portland Oregon. It's hard to explain, but it just seems like a magical place. If you don't go regularly, you need to use their map to find your way around the store. To me, it's a treat to visit and it feels like everyone else feels that way too. 
    I chose a book by Jane Davenport. It's called, "Beautiful Faces." Here it is below...


If you wanna learn to create faces, this book is for you. The whole entire book is eye candy. The tutorials are clear and easy to understand. You get many progression pictorials. Below is my first try at creating a face using the book. 


Maybe not my best work, but it's a good first try. It's done on a 5x7 canvas board. I'm gonna send it out to a friend of mine, as is, with stamps on the back. :)

Besides the tut's on faces...I learned two new tips that I love. First, instead of sketching with a regular pencil, sketch with a flesh tone pencil. Make a mistake? Who cares! It'll end up blending in...no one will notice. The second tip is for those who like brush tip pens, such as, Pentel Color brush. Use Aqua brushes filled with ink. You can make your own custom colors! 



7 comments:

  1. Fantastic canvas! I love how it turned out. Great tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's beautiful! And that's an excellent tip about using a flesh tone pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers!
    Notinkansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome rendering. I love how her hair is going upward. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work. I want to paint faces like that, I am learning, maybe I will buy the book. Thank you for great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this book at Joanns awhile back I was able to use a 60% off coupon... score! I agree it's gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete