Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Mini Adventure One

...Dim Sum and then some...


   I promised some of my friends that I would post a little bit about my day, that included Dim Sum. What does Dim Sum mean? Translated, it literally means, "Touch your heart." I suppose they are trying to say that you'll love it! Dim Sum are small bite sized foods. They can be savory and they can also be sweet. I've  had Dim Sum practically my whole life. So, I take for granted that this type of dining is an unusual experience in itself. The food comes in little steamer baskets and plates. Your server will be pushing these little cuties, on a cart, letting you choose what you want. These places usually don't look like much on the outside...


This place looks a lot more grand inside...


This place was huge! This pic is just under half of the room. Anyhoot, let's get to the important stuff...the food!


This one is my youngest son's favorite. Siu Mai..."Pork dumpling." It goes by other names too...Shumai, Siomai...etc.


The above pic is also pork, but they have water chestnuts and chopped mushrooms inside too. 


These crazy things are fried shrimp balls. I never eat them...shhh...just 'cause I can never eat them neatly! LOL! I let the kids tackle those!

My favorite is the Fried Taro Ball...


Lucky me...my kids don't like it...all mine. ;)

Anyways, we ordered a bunch of other stuff...but eventually...you just gotta put down the camera and eat. 

Dessert: Custard Tarts!


If you want to try Dim Sum, but your worried about how to order. Don't be...just about everything is shrimp or pork. The only thing that might turn off some, is the chicken feet and Tripe. They are not disguised, so I wouldn't worry about ordering it. Otherwise, try whatever looks good. :)

3 comments:

  1. I have been schooled in Dim Sum! I've never eaten it before even though I LOVE any Asian food. Course where I live, we don't have many Asian food places so the opportunity just hasn't presented itself, I guess. They all look quite tasty! I'd try the chicken feet if I ever got the chance. I've eaten tripe before and didn't much like it. Thanks for sharing with us, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I love adventurous eaters! Wish we were closer, I'd take ya out to Dim Sum. :)

      Delete
  2. I want to go to a Dim Sum place with you, Mel. I've never had it but it all looks so good:) L.

    ReplyDelete