Monday, August 18, 2014

Water Drop Tut


   Water drops can look so difficult to do. They look amazingly real, but they are super duper easy to sketch! Here's how....

First grab a fine tipped Sharpie or Micron. Make tiny circles where you want your droplets to be. Vary the amount and sizes that you place.

Next, take any black color pencil and color in a crescent shape to one side of you droplet. Dark around the edge and a little fuzzy and blended near the middle. Opposite your dark half, cast a small soft shadow with the same pencil. 

Now, with any white pencil, I'm using Stabilo, do a white crescent opposite side of your black crescent. Blend the white lightly with black in the middle. 

Finally with your choice of white pen, I'm using Uni-ball Signo, stipple in some highlights in the black crescent. A small dot of white at the bottom of white crescent and one in the shadow cast by the droplet will finish it up. Don't forget to use your finger to smear those last two dots, to soften it out. 

Here's the progression...



Not too impressive on white paper....but check it out on different backgrounds....




These little buggers fool the eyes very well. I think it's because you can still see the background showing through. Hope you have fun adding droplets to your projects! 

9 comments:

  1. Well, those are the neatest water drops I ever seen!!!! Thanks for sharing the technique, I will be trying this out. Love it. hugs, patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen water droplets on many works of art and I always wonder, is it a stamp? Are they real? I wish I could do that! And now, thanks to your tutorial and to Sandra for sharing you I CAN! I am so trying this later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing her Sandra!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! I see it step by step and still...WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowza! Thank you Sandy for sharing my blog and thank you peeps for checking it out! Glad that you enjoyed the tut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool tut, Mel! Glad you shared this one! I'll be practicing drawing water drops.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, we want to see more if your beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a fine tutorial...many many thanks, dear teacher...;)

    ReplyDelete