Friday, August 22, 2014

Paper Dolls

   I've been playing in several paper doll swaps over the past few months. My favorite kind at the moment are the "Two Sleeve Art Dolls" on  ATC's For All. They get their name from the the penny sleeves we use to cover and protect them with. It takes "Two Sleeves" to cover them.  The theme is artist choice, so I've decided to go with Alice in Wonderland. Below are the pic's of the two that I have done so far, Queen of Hearts and Alice. I'll show you the progression of Alice. My inspirations came from Audrey Kawasaki and Sarah Mesinga.
So, here is Alice in a plain pencil sketch......below you can see how she gets colored.

From her pencil sketch, I go to my Micron pen to line the sketch. Once it's lined I take a kneaded eraser to remove the pencil. A lot of times I forget to do it. Try not to forget! If you go in with markers, it'll smudge the pencil! In the last pic above, I started to fill in here skin color. I used "Eggshell" Prismacolor marker for the skin color and #PP3 from Spectrum Noir for the blush. Add the blush color while the flesh tone is still wet. It'll blend the colors better. I sometimes even go over the blush with the flesh color. I never knew a make up tip would come in handy for drawing, but I have one for you. When adding blush, don't just go for the cheeks. Think about where the sun hits you naturally. The make up tip I heard was to add blush to spots that you naturally turn pink on. The tip of your nose, your chin, and your forehead. In drawings, I often add a hint of blush to these areas. 

It might be hard to see in the pic, but I added some shading to some areas of her face and arms. I used #IG1 from Spectrum Noir under her chin, her bangs, and sleeve caps. 

Next, I darken the edges of her head band with a few more strokes on my Micron pen. Then went over the whole band with "Cool Grey" from Prismacolor. The same goes for her belt and folds in her apron. 

I colored in her dress with "Sky Blue Light" from Prismacolor. ...to define the area a bit further I used a Prismacolor pencil in a darker blue to line the dress. 

Can't quite remember the colors used in her hair but I used A Marvy and Spectrum noir pen for that. 

She's nearly finished here....I used a Pentel Colorbrush and a Micron to add a quote at the top. Distress inks to give it an aged look. First with tea stain and then with broken china...I think those were the names of the inks! I stenciled in some "A's" Below is the finished doll....with the last touches...a date stamper and some stippled in sparkle from a Sakura Stardust pen. 

5 comments: