Sunday, February 28, 2016

Gee, It's Been A While!

What have I got myself into?


      I thought for sure by mid January, things would slow down for me. So, now here I am at the end of February, trying to get at least one post in! The holidays were a whirlwind of family, working, and art. Yes, even some art! ...Which, by the way, I think had suffered a bit because I had to rush most of it. Most of my friends already know of one the thing that I have gotten into, but I would like to, someday, revisit this moment. Sorta like a journal entry. 



I sent in an entry to a call for mail art, from Somerset Studio magazine. It's a small spot, but I'm delighted to have been chosen! Perhaps I will give some of their bigger spots a try. I wanna thank, aka Miss Iowa, for telling me of this contest.  

Another new thing I tried, was domino books. I was in a gift swap and one of the requests was for one of these thangs. Here's what I came up with...


I included a beaded crocheted necklace, for displaying on a hook...or to simply wear. 


Inside is an excerpt of Shakespeare's Song of the Witches...also known from Harry Potter. Double Double, Toil and Trouble

I also had the chance to make a postage stamp/domino pendant for a friend of mine. 


The above was, again, for a gift swap. I made the beaded necklace. They have gypsy bells too. It makes a cheerful little sound. :) I also gifted an accordion book. I painted the front cover to look like the night sky. On the inside I painted what looks like a morning sky on one side. On the opposite side, is a stormy sky. Here's a peek inside...



It's a finish me book. I did the background, the recipient finishes the rest of it. So anyways, that was the beginning of the year for me. At least where art is concerned. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Good Night, Mel! How do you keep up with it all? I'm lovein' your little books! You are truly a force to be reckoned with, woman!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful art! Your bird truly deserved its spot in the Somerset Mag. Awesome domino book and akkordeon booklet. You work so hard, job, kids and art, you must be super-woman...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Awesome that you got some of your artwork into Somerset Studio! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete