Friday, October 30, 2015

Postal Swimmers!

...it's weirdy time again...


   Envie Addict's Unite, our mail art group, is wrapping up our weirdy mail month. Normally we do art envelopes and postcards...but we get restless and need to get a little crazy! We send objects, as is or "naked," through the mail. We somehow, through conversation, started to call this "weirdy mail." Below is a pic of what I sent...


These postal swimmers are made out of canvas. Here's how I made them.


First, what you don't see, is how I prepared the canvas material. I took clear Gesso and brushed it over the area that would be painted. I can't wait for it to dry, so I took a hair dryer to it. Next, I sketch directly on the prepared canvas. I used water soluble, Inktense pencils to color in the fish. With a brush full of water I drag the colors until I was happy where everything ended up. 


Once everything is dry, I line it all in Sharpie. Then comes the sewing machine....I know how to use it...just not neatly! So, before I sew two halves together, I take one side and sew around the fish two times. I purposely cross the stitches and try to make it look imperfect. For the last go around, I sew the two sides together. I am not turning this project inside out. Gesso prevents the canvas from fraying. I just leave an opening large enough to add stuffing.


They end up like this! Oh-fish-al! ... Postage was troublesome though...I ended up using Glossy Accents under and around the edges of the stamps. Glossy Accents is sorta like resin. :) 



My Postal Swimmers front and back. 

9 comments:

  1. These are Fishtabulous! That's my kinda sewing... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guys are fierce! I dig your sewing style, too. Sewing machines hate me! I always sew by hand to save meself the aggravation. Lucky recipients of these fine fishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely "dig" my blue fishy. I had been wondering already how you had coloured it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete