Wednesday, August 12, 2015

3 Marker Challenge

...bird postcard...


   My arty friend, Tracy Anderson, challenges our art group every so often. This time, she's asking us to try out the 3 marker challenge. According to the rules, you can use three different color markers and a black and white pen. Here's how I started. 


I'm using two Spectrum Noir pens. One is a brown color, GB10 to be exact. The other color is a Navy Blue color, BT9. The last color is from a Prismacolor pen, Violet Mist, PM-60. I also get to use a black and white pen. I'm using a black Pentel Pocket Brush pen. For the white pen I'm using the Uniball Signo Broad pen.


I'm using water color paper, that has been taped around the edges. My brown pen is really juicy, but argh, my blue is dry. What's a person to do? I've already used it. So I try to make the best of it. (BTW, at this point...I wanted to throw it in the trash!) I really disliked the color combo. 


Still not too happy with it, but I keep going. What have I got to lose? Right?


I'm starting to like it at this point. After I had colors flatly applied, I try to think about texture and shadows/highlights. To make the appearance of texture, I added hash marks, stipples...some random "hairs" or "fibers" coming off the bird. I almost quit here...but I couldn't stand that white background. I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough ink in my pens, to out right, color it in. 


I went with my old stand by, "rays." It just seemed like it gave it that last bit of umph! :) 


Here's the finished work. I added a few more stipples on the bird and flowers. The tape has been pulled off as well. :) 

5 comments:

  1. The bird came out great Mel! I like your results much better than mine. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with a 'dead' blue marker, your bird is fabulous! Had you just shown the bird and not the process, we'd have never known the struggle with the blue marker. Very nice 3 marker challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work...as usual! Thanks for your supportive comments on my sales attempt! I think your ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete